de kelders PRIVATE villa - the luxury of privacy
Internationally acclaimed by ELLE Decoration, Condé Nast House & Garden, HOME, National Geographic Traveler, CNBC, Leonardo TV Italy and many others.
De Kelders PRIVATE villa is situated in the quaint, yet scenic village of De Kelders, Gansbaai, South Africa. 151km from Cape Town, 5km from Gansbaai and 35km from Hermanus.
This secluded PRIVATE retreat prides itself on timelessness and tranquility. It is a weary travelers delight and not recommended for the glitzy tourist who wants a holiday resort. Owner decorated to inspire, the villa is a true visual delight of South African and International art, furniture and objects.
The villa is an ideal and convenient base from which to explore the wonders and attractions of the Overberg region. Do not miss historic Elim, the charming village of Stanford, the beautiful beaches and fisherman’s cottages of Arniston and the many exquisite award winning boutique wine estates of the area.
The house is situated on a 1000m double plot 200 m from the cliff paths. Its location provides guests with the privacy to view and not to be viewed by passers by. The enclosed double plot, private garden and heated pool allow visitors to relish in the warmth of the African sun and enjoy some well-earned breathing space.
The villa can be booked for exclusive use, in which case the whole house is at your disposal. Alternatively the rooms can be booked separately and the house will be shared with other amiable travelers also looking for a peaceful retreat.
All rooms lead to the spacious 180m-squared guest area with a full library of books, magazines, DVD’s and CD’s to entertain and provide escape. In winter the large combustion fireplace is the centre of the beautiful lounge, where hours can be spent talking or just sitting and enjoying the luxury of privacy. Many guests have mentioned the villa as a place where they can relax in a homely environment and enjoy personalized home comforts. Guests have the privacy and reign to enjoy the villa as if in their own home.
The connected dining area offers an ambience in which to enjoy freshly prepared local cuisine and aromatic wines. The simple Overberg dinners are made with fresh ingredients that are sourced from the garden, local farmers and the sea.
The 80m squared outside terrace, has a wonderful lounge area to relax in with your favorite book. Breakfast is served at the outside terrace table or at individual smaller tables. The simple breakfasts are a highlight for patrons, the kitchen staff prepare nearly all the offerings on the breakfast table.
Accommodation is by prior arrangement only. The villa is not numbered and unmarked as a guesthouse, assuring the guests complete privacy.
The De Kelders PRIVATE retreat, near Gansbaai, has a spirit of quiet kindness, thoughtful generosity and relaxed ease where there is space for both lively conversation and rejuvenating silence. Living in De Kelders is like living in an eternal Sunday; nothing is open, the streets are empty and everything is peaceful.
Designer Neil Stemmet of koncept design and architecture www.konceptdesign.co.za designed the home to complement the laid-back yet incredibly sophisticated style of this beach home in De Kelders.
Just because a house at the sea doesn’t mean it needs to look like a beach house, yet the luxury of coastal solitude and stillness runs like a thread through Neil’s home. He pays homage to authenticity, to the return to real quality, intuitive design, all while celebrating uniquely crafted items. In a noisy world of consumerism, of acceleration and information bombardment, his home stands as a beacon of Zen, where he continuously finds fresh inspiration, where he allows himself to be free of dictation of trends, where he can be real
Condé Nast HOUSE&GARDEN
Celebrated designer Neil Stemmet's uncompromising green philosophy makes you sit up and notice. The idea behind the construction of de kelders private villa was to celebrate creativity, both natural and human. So often amazing things in life is overlooked. It's about taking time out from modern life and looking at a tree trunk to remind you of the dual functions of beauty and sustainability.
Objects tell stories and enrich our interiors and our lives. At de kelders PRIVATE villa you will be inspired by the people, places and ideas that make this home a personal memory map of the owners. The house and indigenous gardens are custom designed by the owners and have received international acclaim for the sublime interior vignettes and eco-friendly building ethos: natural cross ventilation air flow, large windows that capture heat in winter, rain water is captured and used in the large vegetable beds, a single large hearth with a large combustion oven heat the lounge, combustion ovens in all bedrooms, solar heated water heats the water for showers, and where possible the vertebrae of the old house were recycled into the new home
The owner: My favorite time is from autumn to spring, the days are crisper and shorter, you can see the weather moving over walker bay, the sunsets are even more spectacular than in summer, there is a gentle quietness in the area, few people, champagne days filled with soft, glorious sunshine, schools of dolphins cut through the sea that display the colors of mother of pearl, the succulent-aloes cover themselves with vibrant flower cloaks, the whales arrive mid-June and our days are spent reading, walking the cliffs, exploring new bays and flora whilst at supper time enjoying feasts of simple produce of the Overberg...
capturing the spirit of the house
composition | music | quiet | sleep | gentle | timelessness | enriching | self time | art | literature | nature | inspiring | rest | being | simple feasts | pärt | preisner | ando | mies | kundera | matthee | kieslowski | mahler | preserves | slow | fire | privacy | battiss | skotness | national geographic | world of interiors | elle decoration | cats | piano | sugar birds | light | breath | stillness | me time | sanctuary
comments from our visitor’s book
Amsterdam | Piet
- Being an inspiration is timeless ... we have enjoyed our stay with you tremendously and will cherish the memory for the rest of our lives.
Sweden | Thorrun
- My dad and I had been travelling along the Garden Route for a week, and we were on our way back to Cape Town when we stayed at De Kelders PRIVATE villa. No competition- it was the best place we had stayed on our travels. A beautiful, stylish house, AMAZING food, and a wonderful host. Neil and his team made us feel very much at home- a feeling that was missing at a lot of the other places we stayed. The service was unparalleled, and the rooms were luxurious and comfortable. I sincerely hope I'll be back!
Edinburgh | Stephan and family -
The experience my family and I had at this beautiful villa is one that we will truly never forget. Neill and his team did such an amazing job at making us all feel so welcome and comfortable in his stunning home. The food and service was all wonderful! Every morning we were greeted with a breakfast that was of the highest standard along with a smile from all the staff. The porridge was a particular highlight! 4 course dinners by candlelight with the family was truly amazing and was the perfect way to end a beautiful day in Gansbaai. De Kelders PRIVATE Villa will be an unforgettable memory. Thank you so very much to all for making this holiday so special!
Derbyshire | Angela + Godfrey - Our stay at De Kelders PRIVATE villa was to experience the best of everything. The owner, Neil Stemmet, placed his home in our hands. We enjoyed the eclectic decor, the sumptuous accommodation and the breathtaking view of Walker Bay. Samkelo, of the laughing eyes, laid out a selection of her home made bread, and served us splendid breakfasts, she is a gem. We were fortunate to have a meal cooked for us by Neil which was startlingly unfussy but incredibly delicious and which we appreciated greatly. Unfortunately, we had golf to play and wine tasting to attend to otherwise we would not have left this haven of tranquility.
Copenhagen | Kristian
- This house is very inspiring and with and even more inspiring host. The beautiful colours, smell of the sea and fine cooking makes it the perfect spot for a peaceful recharging. Clean, polite and with interesting guests.
Cape Town | Edric
- De Kelders is a fantastic little escape for anyone wanting to get away and explore the lush beaches, wild life, and of course a perfect opportunity to relax with family and friends. However, staying at De Kelders PRIVATE Villa made it even more of a five star getaway. The villa is simply perfect. With everything and more to make your stay as comfortable as ever. The interior of the house is selected with impeccable taste and desire to create a feel of sophistication and yet making you feel right at home. I would advice anyone who is looking to escape city life to head right to De Kelders PRIVATE Villa. The staff was absolutely amazing which is definitely a must and an added bonus in my books!
Copenhagen | Anthony -
You are very special people, this is a very special house with special cats and many special things. We spend a very special 8 nights with you. The dinners were excellent as was your hospitality and all of us felt very much at home
Paris | Marius
- Once or twice in a lifetime all your senses are totally satisfied and we call it bliss! — This is it thank you a wonderful time — it certainly will not be the last
London | Toni
- What a wonderful house you call home! Thank you so much for your hospitality! The breakfasts and dinners were just delicious; we filled our tummies to the brim with your homemade goodies. We will definitely be back for more relaxing days in your place